Our lab has a strong focus on human immunology, which stems from the fundamental need to deeply understand the human immune system to combat diseases. Particularly, we study B cells, the type of immune cells that produce antibodies.
An enormous diversity of antibodies protects us from various infectious diseases by binding and neutralizing pathogens. During an infection, B cells undergo maturation processes including the acquisition of beneficial mutations followed by subsequent selection to increase the potency of antibodies. However, for some diseases the body’s immune system fails to induce natural protection. We study antibody maturation to understand how diversity is generated and which determinants are important to elicit potent protection.
Using high-throughput cellular and molecular screening methodologies, in vitro cultivation methods, and functional studies, our laboratory seeks out novel applications for B cells and antibodies to preserve human health.
- Kathrin de la Rosa - PI
- Lisa Spatt - Technician (Cloning, protein production)
- Christoph Ratswohl - PhD (Novel insert-antibodies)
- Clara Vazquez Garcia - PhD (Novel diversification mechanism)
- Mikhail Lebedin - PhD (Suppression PCR)
- Spela Kned - Erasmus student (Cloning of novel insert-antibodies)
- Pieper K*, Tan J*, Piccoli L*, Foglierini M, Barbieri S, Chen Y, Silacci-Fregni C, Wolf T, Jarrossay D, Anderle M, Abdi A, Ndungu FM, Doumbo OK, Traore B, Tran TM, Jongo S, Zenklusen I, Crompton PD, Daubenberger C, Bull PC, Sallusto F, Lanzavecchia A. Public antibodies to malaria antigens genrated by two LAIR1 insertion modalities. Nature. 2017. 548 (7669):597-601.
- Tan J*, Pieper K*, Piccoli L*, Abdi A, Foglierini M, Geiger R, Tully CM, Jarrossay D, Ndungu FM, Wambua J, Bejon P, Fregni CS, Fernandez-Rodriguez B, Barbieri S, Bianchi S, Marsh K, Thathy V, Corti D, Sallusto F, Bull P, Lanzavecchia A. A LAIR1 insertion generates broadly reactive antibodies against malaria variant antibodies. Nature. 2016. 529(7584):105-9.
- Pieper K, Grimbacher B, Eibel H. B-cell biology and development. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013. 131(4):959-71.