Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
CC1 Health and Human Sciences
Institute for Gender in Medicine (GIM)
Prevention Research Group
Seestr. 73, Haus 10, E4
Tel.: +49 30 - 450 525 327
Postal adress: Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin
We investigate the association of risk perception, decision making, and health related quality of life in cancer patients with a focus on sex and gender differences. In particular, we examine how women with BRCA1/2 gene mutation perceive their 10-year risk and lifetime risk of developing breast and/or ovarian cancer. In addition, we investigate the interplay of subjective risk perception, illness anxiety, and quality of life with respect to the complex decision making process in women with breast cancer and men with prostate cancer undergoing different treatment strategies.
- Speiser, D., Rebitschek, F.G., Feufel, M.A., Brand, H., Besch, L., Kendel, F. (2019) Accuracy in risk understanding among BRCA1/2 mutation carriers. [Epub ahead of print ]; DOI:10.1016/j.pec.2019.05.007. Patient Educ Couns (IF=2.785).
- Brand A, Gao L, Hamann A, Crayen C, Brand H, Squier SM, Stangl K, Kendel F, Stangl V. (2019) Medical graphic narratives to improve patient comprehension and periprocedural anxiety before coronary angiography and percutaneous coronary intervention: a randomized trial. Annals of Internal Medicine. [Epub ahead of print ]:. doi: 10.7326/M18-2976 (IF=19.384).
- Hilger, C., Schostak, M., Neubauer, S., Magheli, A., Fydrich, T., Burkert, S. & Kendel, F. (2019). The importance of sexuality, changes in erectile functioning and its association with self-esteem in men with localized prostate cancer: data from an observational study. BMC Urology, 19(1):9 (IF=1.792).
- Villa S, Kendel F, Venderbos L, Rancati T, Bangma C, Carroll P, Denis L, Klotz L, Korfage IJ, Lane AJ, Magnani T, Mastris K, Rannikko A, Roobol M, Trock B, Van den Bergh R, Van Poppel H, Valdagni R, Bellardita L. Setting an Agenda for Assessment of Health-related Quality of Life Among Men with Prostate Cancer on Active Surveillance: A Consensus Paper from a European School of Oncology Task Force. European Urology. 2017; (2):274-280. (IF 14.98)
- Kendel F, Helbig L, Neumann K, Herden J, Stephan C, Schrader M, Gaissmaier W. Patients' perceptions of mortality risk for localized prostate cancer vary markedly depending on their treatment strategy. International Journal of Cancer. 2016;139(4):749-53. (IF 6.513)